The leadership of the Sam Houston Area Council would like to present this, our eleventh update, on our response to the COVID-19 outbreak and protocols for Scouting operations going forward. We appreciate your continued patience as we navigate this situation as best we can.
Any units wishing to conduct small-scale meetings or activities should do so only if able to meet specific preventative guidance from the State of Texas and the Center for Disease Control and upon consultation with and approval from their chartered organization.
- All in-person council meetings through October 31st are cancelled or postponed unless conducted over teleconference or online.
- Council Coordinated Meeting, scheduled for October 15th, will be conducted virtually. Please visit here to register in advance (required).
- The Council Board of Directors Meeting, scheduled for October 19th, will be conducted virtually.
- District meetings (ex: Roundtables, District Committee Meetings, Commissioner Staff Meetings) may be conducted in person only if standards from the State of Texas and CDC for can be met. Otherwise these meetings should be conducted over teleconference or online.
- No overnight district or council activities may be conducted through October 31st.
- Day-only activities by a district or the council may be conducted, with prior approval of the council’s Enterprise Risk Management committee. Only approved activities will appear on the council and district official websites. All events must meet strict social distancing protocols that have been shared with District Key-3 leadership.
- Merit Badge Days will continue to be held at Camp Strake through the fall. More information, including how to register, may be found here and will updated as more days are added.
- Weekend camping for Cub Scouts at Bovay Scout Ranch is cancelled through December 31st.
- Additional “Outdoor Sports Days” will be conducted at Bovay Scout Ranch during the fall as a replacement for Adventure Camp overnight programs. More information, including registration, is available here.
- Weekend camping for Scouts BSA at Tellepsen Scout Camp and Camp Strake will be opening for limited registration beginning Monday, October 12th. Participating troops must follow council policies regarding social distancing and COVID-19 prevention measures, along with State of Texas protocols for camps.
- The Cockrell Scout Center remains open for drop off only with hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Monday through Friday.
- Any interaction needed with staff members must be conducted through phone and email. If you need assistance determining the appropriate person to contact, please refer to our updated “who to call directory,” or contact the receptionist at (713) 659-8111 during our office hours to be directed to the appropriate person.
- Field-based staff (District Executives) will be working remotely during this time and are available by phone and email.
- The 5 Scout Shop locations are open to limited retail traffic. Please visit here for more store information, including updated store hours.
- University of Scouting will be conducted in both online and in-person formats during the week of November 9-14th. More information can be found here.
- Colonneh Lodge has established plans to conduct Order of the Arrow Ordeals during COVID-19. Please visit here for more information.
- Our council program team is currently looking at planning and potential alternate planning for other upcoming major events – including Winter Camp and Scout Fair. More information regarding those events will be made available as the situation evolves.
Our Enterprise Risk Management Team is working regularly and diligently to determine our plans going forward. If you have any questions regarding the COVID-19 response for the Sam Houston Area Council, please contact Thomas Franklin, Deputy Scout Executive, at email@example.com. The council remains committed to keeping our constituents updated regularly with new information as we have it. We will continue to communicate through three main mechanisms – Facebook, Email, and Council Website. Please consult these regularly for updates.